FarmSense includes news about farm animal welfare issues, research results, and information on the BC SPCA's activities that help farm animals in B.C.
Sending email communications enables us to provide news in a timely and cost-effective manner, ensuring that more money goes to where it matters most - the animals.
When you sign up for FarmSense, you will be sent an electronic copy of our most recent issue within 5 business days.
March 2016 – "Great Moos for Dairy Cattle"
- Animal cruelty charges laid in Chilliwack dairy cattle abuse case
- What does ‘certified organic’ mean for animal welfare?
- Robots improve cow welfare at Little Qualicum Cheeseworks
- New farm-themed BC SPCA merchandise! Support change: speak for udders!
- Talking to your MP about making 2016 a good year for farm animal welfare
- Food for thought: Egg Farmers of Canada announces industry-wide transition away from conventional housing
- Food for thought: A more humane way to wean farm animals
- Food for thought: What beef producers need to know about pain control and prevention
December 2015 – "So you want a pet pig?"
- So you want a pet pig?
- Feed management for small farmers (tips from Dr. Ann Britton, Ministry of Ag)
- On-farm biosecurity: Not just for large-scale farmers
- Harley Farms to add poultry production to their SPCA certification
- SPCA Certified: A year in review
- Compare SPCA Certified Standards to the 2015 revised Canadian Organic Standards
- Food for thought: 6 oddball facts about turkeys
- Food for thought: A humane approach to farm animal antibiotics
October 2015 – "Are you a political animal?"
- Get on board for Farm Animal Month
- Interview: The vegan turned farmer
- Participate in the public comment period for chicken and turkey Code of Practice
- SPCA Certified program on Animal's Voice Pawdcast
- Putting animal welfare on the political agenda
- Food for thought: Are cattle well treated during transport?
- Food for thought: McDonald's switching to cage-free chickens for Egg McMuffins
June 2015 – "SPCA Certified launched in Ontario"
- Costco to carry SPCA Certified products
- B.C. MLAs celebrate kindness to animals
- SPCA Certified program launched in Ontario
- Farm animal welfare gains ground at National Animal Welfare Conference
- Food for thought: Walmart pushes for improved animal welfare
- Food for thought: Changes on the way to organic regulations
March 2015 – "Make 2015 your kindest year"
- Government funding will help build BC SPCA farm animal care facilities
- Make 2015 your kindest year with Million Acts of Kindness
- Veal calves, bison and rabbits to benefit from new national Codes of Practice
- Food for thought: Energy requirements for cattle
- Food for thought: Balancing air quality and energy costs
December 2014 – "Fighting cruelty with kindness"
- SPCA Certified welcomes its first Ontario farm, plus more pigs and chickens in B.C.!
- The BC SPCA takes action for dairy cattle and for farm animals in transit
- Join the BC SPCA in fighting cruelty with a Million Acts of Kindness
- Festive SPCA Certified holiday recipes and events
- In the News: Avian Flu outbreak in B.C.
- In the News: The history behind the holiday wishbone breaking tradition
- In the News: Coca-Cola launches a high-end lactose-free milk
October 2014 – "Riding the winds of change"
- Riding the winds of change in Chetwynd
- Speak up in support of stronger protection for dairy cattle
- A SPCA Certified farmer’s beliefs on how farm animals are meant to live
- Last chance to get SPCA Certified foods at your summer farmers’ market!
June 2014 – "Hog wild!"
- BC SPCA and BC Dairy Association speak out against cruelty on Chilliwack dairy farm
- SPCA Certified goes hog wild!
- Antibiotic uses in farming: Is there cause for concern?
- Quit stallin’: New regulations will improve the lives of pigs
- Kick off summer with SPCA Certified gear
- SPCA Certified foods available at your local farmers’ market
March 2014 – "Piglets and horses and sheep, oh my!"
- New Code gives pigs freedom from pain and more room to move
- Piglets get an education from Mom
- Equine Hoof Health Management in Winter and Spring Seasons
- Code for keeping sheep complete
- SPCA Certified chicken served at Surrey Gala
- Deadly virus spreads from US to Canadian pig industry
- Lilydale facing charges for animal cruelty
- SPCA Certified merchandise for sale in our online shop!
December 2013 – "The future of cage-free egg production in Canada"
- New video and fact sheets on horse health and welfare
- The future of cage-free egg production in Canada
- Are SPCA Certified farm animal welfare standards up to Code?
- Canada's Road Map for farm animal welfare
- Festive SPCA Certified holiday recipe ideas
- New SPCA Certified farm and program announcements!
October 2013 – "Do you know the code?"
- Farm animal care standards for egg-laying chickens
- New national Codes of Practice for the Care and Handling of Equines and Beef Cattle
- Free talk about the new requirements for horse care in Canada for horse owners
- Efficient and Novel Method for Sorting Cow-Calf Pairs
- Build your new barn to SPCA Certified standards
- The difference between “animal rights” and “animal welfare”
June 2013 – "These hooves were made for walkin' "
- New Canadian Pig Code of Practice released for public input
- Changes to pig welfare standards in Canada including sow stall practices
- Early detection and prevention of lameness in sows
- New technology for humane euthanasia of piglets
- We welcome Hazelsprings Organics Farm to the SPCA Certified program
March 2013 – "Making sense of humane food labelling claims"
- Making sense of humane labels
- Canada’s Code of Practice for Beef Cattle
- Easter recipe and meal ideas using SPCA Certified foods
December 2012 – "The holidays are here!"
- Holiday gift giving and stocking stuffer ideas
- Morningstar Farm annual public Christmas event
- Holiday recipe and meal ideas using SPCA Certified foods
- New SPCA Certified farms and products
- SPCA Certified year-end report
- Holiday safety tips – hazards to pets
- Update on Canada’s Equine Code of Practice
October 2012 – Farm Animal Month
- 8 ways you can help farm animals
- A year in review:
- Confinement housing of farm animals
- Progress on revision of the Canadian Codes of Practice
- Food labelling claims to be wary of
- Meet the BC SPCA farm department staff
- New SPCA Certified foods and where to buy
- New training programs available to farmers
August 2012 – "Building a better 'neigh'bourhood"
- Using the 5 Freedoms to assess the welfare implications of equine housing systems
- New horse welfare policies in Canada nosing ahead
- New SPCA Certified egg producers
- Horse talk
June 2012 – "Moo-ving to greener pastures"
- Calf in a box: Individual confinement housing used in veal production
- Promoting discussion of “hot topics” in dairy cattle welfare
- Putting research into practice to improve the welfare of beef cattle
- New SPCA Certified farms
- Fast facts about cattle
April 2012 – "A focus on the life of egg-laying hens"
- The future of battery cages for egg-laying hens
- Results of Canada-wide discussions about battery cage housing
- Raising backyard hens in urban areas
- Cluck! The BC SPCA farm video about a hen’s life
- Fast facts about hens and eggs
- Results from University of Victoria SPCA Certified food day
- New SPCA Certified foods
February 2012 – "Back to the future... of farming"
- Sow confinement: When will it become a thing of the past?
- Can Omega-3 fatty acids improve piglet health?
- Meet the BC SPCA Farm Animal Welfare Department staff
- University of Victoria to host SPCA Certified food day
- New SPCA Certified foods now available
- Fun facts and trivia – test your knowledge of farm animals
November 2011 - "A focus on advancing farm animal care"
- Canadian Swine Health Board launches national biosecurity training program
- Needle-free injection technology points to potential improvements to animal welfare
- How to distinguish lame birds from sick birds
- Order your SPCA Certified Holiday turkey
- First ever reader poll - tell us what you think
September 2011 - "Celebrate Farm Animal Month"
- Development of a dairy cattle advisory tool
- Surgical castration: A thing of the past?
- Picking the good egg: Removing the confusion from food labels
- New SPCA Certified products
- New BC SPCA youth farm video - Cluck!
- Update on Codes of Practice revisions
July 2011 - "Letting go of the family jewels... painlessly."
- Canadian Codes of Practice for Castration of Farm Animals
- Effects of castration on mature bull behaviour and weight gain
- Castration reports from Celista Springs and Vale Farms Grassroots
- SPCA Certified Updates
May 2011 (View newsletter)
- The debate on tougher penalties for improper animal transport: Government, industry and public perspectives
- How is chicken and cattle welfare impacted by transport?
- Caring for the animals after transport vehicle collisions
- Do not transport these animals!
- Official launch of SPCA Certified videos
March 2011 (View newsletter)
- Farm Animal Welfare team welcomes new staff member
- Lameness in Broiler Chickens: How To Assess Walking Ability Using Gait Scores by Karen Brickett
- Upcoming farm animal welfare, care and handling events
- Lewisville Pork Farm builds a group housing system for its gestating sows by Jim Gowans
- Launch of the SPCA Certified promotional videos just around the corner!
November 2010 (View newsletter)
- Made in Canada solutions to farm animal welfare
- 5th International workshop on the assessment of animal welfare at the farm and group level
- BC SPCA launches SPCA Certified sheep standards
- Ladybug Manor (Aldergrove, B.C.) becomes SPCA Certified for turkey
August 2010 (View newsletter)
- Milk producers’ Innovation Day focuses on animal welfare
- Picky Eaters: ensuring dairy cows eat what is provided for them by Dr. Trevor DeVries
- The use of local anaesthetics in routine castrations of older beef animals by Doug Fenton
- Bradner Farms becomes SPCA Certified!
June 2010 (View newsletter)
- Rest: the forgotten requirement by Dr. Ian Duncan
- New factsheet for broiler and turkey growers
- Poultry health plans: a practical tool
- Meet the newest SPCA Certified farm
April 2010 (View newsletter)
- Part 2: What happens when experts talk science in a pub?
- The weaning two-step, by Joseph M. Stookey and Derek B. Haley
- Certified Livestock Transport program travels west, by Donna Gilmore
- SPCA Certified chicken now available at Armando's Finest Quality Meats
- Meet the BC SPCA's farm team, by Craig Naherniak
February 2010 (View newsletter)
- Part 1: What happens when experts talk science in a pub?
- BC SPCA and UBC Partner on Lameness Factsheet
- 'Farm Olympics' by Jerry Kitt of First Nature Farms
- Pork and beef available year-round from Celista Springs Ranch
November 2009 (Download full .pdf)
- SPCA Certified Program Launches its First-Ever Turkey Standards!
- Highlights of the SPCA Certified Turkey Standards
- Polderside Farms becomes SPCA Certified!
- A Guide to Gait Scoring Turkeys
September 2009 (Download full .pdf)
- Watching What Cows Eat: Feeding Behaviour and Illness, by Christy Goldhawk, MSc
- Quick Facts for Farmers on Feeding Behaviour and Illness
- Register today for the annual Scotiabank & BC SPCA Paws for a Cause... Walk for the Animals
July 2009 (Download full .pdf)
- Want to know what makes dairy cows really happy?
- Highlights of the National Codes of Practice for the Care and Handling of Dairy Cattle
- Get SPCA Certified beef delivered right to your door from Vale Farms!
May 2009 (Download full .pdf)
- Reducing the Risk of Feather Pecking, by Anne Macey
- Where's the (SPCA Certified) Beef?
- 650 Million Animals Need Our Help
March 2009 (Download full .pdf)
- SPCA Certified Program Launches Updated Broiler Chicken Standard
- Upcoming Event: Agriculture in the City
- Little Qualicum Cheeseworks Launches Online Store
November 2008 (Download full .pdf)
- Low-Stress Animal Handling
- Do Chickens Have Feelings? by Prof. Ian Duncan
- TK Ranch becomes SPCA Certified!
September 2008 (Download full .pdf)
- Granby Organic Dairy and Beef Joins SPCA Certified Program!
- Vale Farms Grassroots Beef Now Available Across B.C.!
- Celebrate World Farm Animals Day
- Upcoming Events
July 2008 (Download full .pdf)
- The Five Freedoms on Organic Farms
- Providing an Assurance of Animal Welfare
- Donate Now!
April 2008 (Download full .pdf)
- Lameness in Broiler Chickens
- Update on the BC SPCA's Farm Animal Transport Campaign
- A Guide to Gait Scoring in Broiler Chickens
March 2008 (Download full .pdf)
- Welfare Friendly Alternatives to Gestation Stalls by Bruce Cochrane
- Animal Protection Laws in Canada
- Upcoming Conference
December 2007 (Download full .pdf)
- The Animal Welfare Movement in Canada: Who's Taking the Lead? by Shelagh MacDonald
- International Welfare Expert Joins BC SPCA
- Make 2008 an Ethical Year with Green Zebra Guide
- Go Gourmet the Humane Way!
October 2007 (Download full .pdf)
- The Animal Welfare Movement in Canada: Role and Future Direction by Shelagh MacDonald
- Bark! Magazine Educates Kids about the Welfare of Dairy Cows
- Canada's Government Lags Behind on Farm Animal Welfare
August 2007 (Download full .pdf)
- CFIA Applauds New Certified Livestock Transporter Program by Bruce Cochrane
- Vancouver City Council Votes Against Battery Cages
June 2007 (Download full .pdf)
- Outside the Cage by Nicholas Read
- Preventing Pain in Cattle
- Help Protect Farm Animals
- Volunteers Needed!
March 2007 (Download full .pdf)
- Ranching Celista-Style
- Happy Sows Break from Gestation Stalls
- Farmers Markets Need More Farmers!