Our mission: To protect and enhance the quality of life for domestic, farm and wild animals in B.C.

Wildlife emergency response

Please note that it is illegal to care for wild animals unless you are a licensed wildlife rehabilitation facility. Every wild animal has species-specific medical, care, and diet requirements that can not be just looked up online – please contact a professional wildlife rehabilitator for advice and speedy transfer to a licensed facility. Not sure if there is a rehabilitator near you? Call the BC SPCA Provincial Call Centre at 1-855-6BC-SPCA (1-855-622-7722) to find out where the nearest facility is and if the wild animal needs intervention.


Signs a wild animal is in need of help

  • an adult animal that can be captured easily

  • seriously favouring a leg or wing

  • sitting on the road, not moving for traffic

  • bleeding

  • having difficulty breathing or convulsing

  • a bird sitting with its feathers puffed and not moving for a long period

  • a bird running on the ground when others fly away

In most cases, leave baby animals alone! They only need help if they appear to be dehydrated or emaciated, have sunken eyes and dull coat, or are listless or injured. 

After careful observation, if you believe that the animal is in need of help call the closest wildlife rehabilitation facility before you attempt to capture it. 


Wildlife rehabilitation and rescue contacts

Visit our Wild ARC website for more information on how to determine if a wild animal is injured or orphaned.


What to do if you find a baby animal

Download one of our informational rack cards:

printer-friendly version Printer Friendly version

Imagine Canada Accreditation

Join the conversation; follow us online: