Coral came into the BC SPCA Williams Lake Branch as a stray in August 2011; she had been seen wandering in the 150 Mile House area with a doggy friend. Coral was held for a period of time in hopes her family would come looking for her; she had no forms of identification for us to help reunite her with them. When no one called or came for her she was placed up for adoption, she was an affectionate young girl with lots of bouncy energy and was sure to find a great new family.
Coral was transferred down to the BC SPCA West Vancouver Branch after a few weeks of no potential suitors. It didn’t take long before a lovely couple came and fell for this adorable ball of fun, but Coral had a few issues and she went to their home to see if everything would work out. Thankfully Coral made quite the impression on them and ten days later they were ready to adopt. Coral has been renamed Kaya and she looks happy as a clam in her new life!
We adopted "Kaya" (formerly known as "Coral") from the West Vancouver branch on September 6th, 2011. And though she was very excitable when we first met her at the branch, she turned out to be such a dream once we got her home. She has never had an accident inside, she consistently sleeps through the night on her bed, she doesn't steal food, has never destroyed a thing in our home, she loves to cuddle, she doesn't bark, and she absolutely adores every human she meets. She even likes the vet!
We have had our challenges though too. Kaya was pretty clueless when it came to walking on a leash... but with the help of a gentle leader for about 5 weeks, we eventually figured out it and now she walks very well on a martingale collar. Our biggest issue has definitely been separation anxiety. The poor girl cried her little eyes out when we left her alone at first. We slowly extended the "alone time" and are now leaving her for hours at a time without any trouble. Now when we come home we find a happily snoozing dog surrounded by discarded toys, instead of a totally wound-up anxious one.
The most interesting development of late is that we had Kaya's DNA tested to see what type of dog she really is. Turns out that she isn't a Labrador at all! Kaya is 25% Newfoundland... with the remaining 75% a mix of Beagle, Husky, German Shepherd, Rottweiler, and Keeshond. Now we know why she's so fast and athletic, and why her nose is SO powerful, and why her herding instinct is so strong... it's very cool to get to the bottom of that mystery, and has made us feel even closer to her. Alex and I are so in love with our new pooch -- she is truly a part of the family now. She even joined us on our holiday tour to 4 different homes this season... and she was a polite lady in all of them.
Thank you SPCA!
Andria & Alex
We’re so glad to see and hear how well Kaya adjusted into her new home and all the ones she visited over the holidays. It really is interesting to know all the different breeds that can be part of a dog’s DNA. Thank you so much to Andria and Alex for taking the time to teach Kaya that everything will be okay if she’s by herself, we’re sure it has helped her immensely.
View more Happy Endings or submit your own
Enjoy Happy Endings from all over the province, and find out how you can share the story of you and your forever friend
Search online for all adoptable animals
Our online search engine includes all animals throughout B.C. that are ready to find a new forever home
A BC SPCA how-to for potential adopters
Making the Right Match
How to find the right animal companion for you
Dog adoption application form (.pdf download)
Bring a completed application form when visiting our shelter to start the adoption process