BC SPCA Wild Animal Rehabilitation Centre (Wild ARC) Donate Volunteer Contact

Location and contact information
1020 Malloch Road
Victoria, B.C.
V9C 4G9
(250) 478-9453 (WILD)

About orphaned wildlife

The most important thing to do if you find an infant wild animal is to make certain it is truly an orphan before intervening. Very often, well-meaning rescuers pick up and walk away with healthy infants while the parent animal watches from a safe distance.

Baby birds

The most common animals to be unnecessarily rescued are fledgling birds. They often spend up to several days on the ground while learning to fly and are being fed by parents nearby. Whole nests can be placed back into trees. If nests have been destroyed, pre-fledgling birds can be put in a hanging basket (with drain holes) such as a margarine container and hung on a nearby tree to allow the parents to continue to feed and care for the youngster. It is not true that the parent will abandon the young bird if touched by humans - most birds do not have a good sense of smell! Visit here for more information about the growth stages of baby songbirds.

Download "What to do if you find a baby bird" brochure

Duck or goose families

If you are concerned about duck or goose families nesting in the area, check here for more information on how to help.



If you are concerned about nesting crows, check here for more information.


Baby mammals

Young mammals may appear lost and alone while they explore or wait for parents to return from foraging for food nearby. Remember, mammals such as deer and cottontail rabbits are only fed 2-3 times per day. Their mother leaves them on their own for the rest of the day. This is natural and normal.

If you have found a deer fawn and are concerned that it might need help, check here for more information, or download our "What to do if you find a baby deer fawn" brochure


Baby seals

Seals will also be found alone on beaches and may not be orphaned. Monitor the situation closely and call Wild ARC to describe the seal's condition and length of time observed on the beach.

Download "What to do if you find a baby seal" brochure

Check out our "What do do if you find a baby seal" flow-chart


Injured or orphaned wildlife

If a young animal is truly orphaned (parent is killed or missing after careful observation) or injured, it needs prompt attention! Contact Wild ARC at 250-478-WILD (9453) or your local wildlife rehabilitation facility as soon as possible.


Feedback Give us your feedback      printer-friendly version Printer Friendly version      Tell a Friend     

Join the conversation; follow us online: