Black is beautiful - especially if you are looking for a new best friend.
That’s according to Lorie Chortyk, general manager of community relations for the BC SPCA. She says SPCA branches across the province are overwhelmed with black cats awaiting their “forever homes”.
“It’s always a bigger challenge for us to find homes for black cats and kittens,” says Chortyk. “People are more inclined to adopt the tabbies, the calicos and other lighter-coloured cats.”
Chortyk says black cats just don’t stand out as much to potential adopters. Black cats are also more difficult to photograph, which makes it harder to showcase them on online adoption sites, posters and in newspaper ads.
BC SPCA statistics indicate that cats spend an average of 50 days in care before they are adopted; black cats, however, remain 24 per cent longer, or 12 additional days. Almost one-third of cats in shelters are black.
“This is such a shame, because the most successful adoptions occur when guardians choose their new pet based on temperament and the personality that best matches their family rather than on colour,” says Chortyk.
If you are looking for a new feline friend, visit spca.bc.ca/adopt to search for adoptable animals.
Top 10 Reasons to Adopt a Black Cat:
- Black cats are easier to find in the snow.
- Black cats absorb heat and are therefore perfect for cuddling with.
- When next to you, black cats make you look thinner.
- Black cats never look dirty.
- Black goes with everything so you will always match your cat.
- Black cats always look presentable on formal occasions.
- Black hair is invisible on your black wool coat.
- Black cats look more distinguished as they age because their grey hair is more visible.
- It’s easier to see black fur in your food so you’ll never end up swallowing it.
- Black is beautiful.
The British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is a not-for-profit organization reliant on public donations. Our mission is to protect and enhance the quality of life for domestic, farm and wild animals in B.C.