The BC SPCA has designated October to raising awareness about farm animals – beginning with World Farm Animals Day on October 2, celebrated on Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday and observed in dozens of countries all over the world.
“In the spirit of this event, we’re challenging consumers to take a really good look at how farm animals are cared for to produce the products they buy,” says Alyssa Bell Stoneman, SPCA Certified program supervisor. “Were the farm animals provided with a high level of welfare to meet their needs?”
There are many ways you can make a difference for farm animals:
- Learn more about farm animals and watch our videos on the BC SPCA's YouTube channel. Videos include: Dr. Temple Grandin, Dr. Ian Duncan, SPCA Certified farms, and Cluck!, the BC SPCA's educational video on laying hens;
- Add your voice to a BC SCPA farm animal welfare campaign and help us speak for the animals;
- Pledge to make a conscientious effort to buy animal welfare certified food products, like SPCA Certified. A product with a SPCA Certified label comes from a farm that follows BC SPCA standards of farm animal welfare, as assessed by trained, independent third-party inspectors and review panellists;
- Many food labels are misleading. You can learn about which claims to avoid in our Picking the Good Egg fact sheet;
- Subscribe to FarmSense, the BC SPCA’s bi-monthly email newsletter about farm animal welfare news, events and research;
- Support farm animal welfare initiatives. The BC SPCA is the only SPCA in Canada with a department specializing in farm animal welfare and is a national leader in programs that promote better lives for millions of farm animals. Your support gift can help us save lives. Donate today!
- Multiply your impact! Tell your family and friends about Farm Animal Welfare Month and get them involved. Point them to our BC SPCA Facebook page and ‘share’ the word, or ‘tweet’ about us on Twitter.
About the BC SPCA
For its part, the BC SPCA continues to work towards improvements in farm animal welfare, provincially and nationally.
The BC SPCA is the only Canadian animal welfare organization with dedicated resources to improve the welfare of farm animals through education and advocacy. It is also the only Canadian animal welfare organization with the infrastructure to third-party certify farms, and the SPCA Certified logo meets the Canadian Food Inspection Agency’s federal labelling requirements.
In addition to certifying farms that meet high animal welfare standards, the BC SPCA advocates for changes to policies and laws affecting farm animals across the country – from Codes of Practice to transportation regulations.
The Monty Fund for Community Education & Outreach supports the SPCA Certified program dedicated to improving farm animal welfare standards in Canada. Your gift can help millions of animals live a healthier, happier life. Please donate today.
The BC SPCA is a non-profit organization funded primarily by public donations. Our mission is to prevent cruelty and to promote the welfare of animals through a wide range of services, including cruelty investigations, emergency rescue and treatment, sheltering and adoption of homeless and abused animals, humane education, advocacy, farm animal welfare, spay/neuter programs, and wildlife rescue and rehabilitation.