Did you know that simply by baking cupcakes you can help animals in need? Bakers across the country are pulling out their aprons and dusting off their cupcake tins in preparation for Canada’s fourth annual National Cupcake Day for SPCAs and Humane Societies on Feb. 29, a day when indulging your sweet tooth is entirely guilt-free.
Participants who register before Jan. 31 and raise $50 will be automatically entered to win a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, the perfect kitchen appliance for whipping up cupcake batter or scrumptious frosting.
“What I love about Cupcake Day is that it’s so easy to get involved,” says National Cupcake Day spokesperson and self-proclaimed bungling baker, Kristina Matisic. “Cupcakes are pretty simple to bake. Trust me, if I can pull it off, anyone can.”
Proceeds from the event go to SPCAs and humane societies across the country, helping to support animals big and small who are in need of help. The BC SPCA will use these funds to find homes for surrendered, neglected or abused animals, and provide emergency care to sick or injured animals.
“If you’re not a pro baker, don’t let that stop you,” says Matisic. “I’ve been known to pull out a box of mix now and again. After all, it’s not about the cupcakes themselves, it’s about making a difference.”
As a Cupcake Day host, you will be part of an exceptional group of supporters who understand the importance of animals in our lives. Here’s how to get involved:
- Register for free at www.nationalcupcakeday.ca and select your charity of choice.
- Register before Jan. 31 and raise $50 and be entered to win a KitchenAid Stand Mixer.
- Plan your National Cupcake Day™ party for home, work, school or wherever you think people would love to eat your cupcakes.
- Promote your Cupcake Day party by personalizing your online bakery and sharing your website link via email and social media.
- Encourage your co-workers, friends and family to support you and the animals by donating online.
- Bake (or buy!) and decorate your cupcakes or pupcakes (for your canine friends).
- Serve your delicious cupcakes in exchange for donations at your National Cupcake Day party. National Cupcake Day is Feb. 29 but you can hold your party any day in January or February.
- Send in your donations.
- Celebrate your success. The funds you raised will change the lives of animals!
“Last year in B.C. we raised nearly $150,000 and this year our goal is to top that,” says BC SPCA CEO Craig Daniell. “It’s so wonderful to see this initiative grow each year, with so many British Columbians committing to ‘bake a difference’ for animals in need.”
Special thanks to gold sponsor Pets Plus Us and silver sponsors Agency59, BMO and Hill’s® Science Diet®.
To register or for more information, visit www.nationalcupcakeday.ca.
The British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is a not-for-profit organization reliant on public donations. Our mission is to protect and enhance the quality of life for domestic, farm and wild animals in B.C.