There are many ways you can keep your furry friend stay happy and healthy and help homeless, injured and abused animals get a second chance.
10 ways to help animals
1. Make sure you have two forms of pet identification - a tag on their collar and either a microchip or ear tattoo. Check with your friends to make sure their pets have proper ID.
2. If you are considering getting a new pet - cat, dog, rabbit, guinea pig, hamster or other animal - make the SPCA or other animal shelter your first adoption option. Don't buy pets from pet stores or irresponsible breeders.
3. Sign up for an event near you, or start your own fundraiser in support of the animals that need you most.
4. Talk to friends or colleagues who have unsterilized animals about the importance of spaying or neutering their pets.
5. Make a donation to the BC SPCA. Help the Biscuit Fund or become a PAW (Pre-Authorized Withdrawal) Plan member. You can also donate your Canadian Tire money or HBC points when shopping at the Bay, Zellers and Home Outfitters - contact your local shelter for their account number.
6. Register to volunteer at your local branch of the BC SPCA or other animal shelter. We can't exist without our amazing volunteers.
7. Visit your local BC SPCA branch or other animal shelter regularly to donate at least one item on their wish list (towels, leashes, animal toys, etc.).
8. Learn more about the SPCA Certified food labelling program. Make humane food choices and encourage your friends to do the same.
9. Switch the toxic ethylene glycol antifreeze in your vehicle to pet-friendly propylene-based antifreeze.
10. Visit our Action Centre regularly to find out how you can help fight animal neglect and cruelty in your community.