Mughlai saag chicken is a chicken dish prepared by cooking chicken with spinach, indian spices, onions, garlic and ginger.
This dish goes well
with naan, parathas, missi rotis, etc. Surprise your guests with this
easy but tasty recipe.
2 pounds SPCA Certified skinless chicken pieces
4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
3 red onions , make paste in blender
3 crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1/2 cup of milk
2 lb spinach, washed and finely chopped
1/2 cup butter or desi ghee(clarified butter)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dry coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
4-5 dry red hot chillies
2 -3 large black cardamoms
7 to 8 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp mix spices powder (garam masala)
Salt as per taste
1. Fry the chicken lightly in 4 tablespoon of oil for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned and set aside.
2. Boil the spinach in 1/4 cup water, when cool, make the paste by grinding it in a blender and set aside.
3. Heat the rest of the oil in a wok or deep pan and add onions, garlic, ginger, red chillies. Saute for 1-2 minutes until the ingredients turns light brown, then add crushed tomatoes and the rest of the spices except garam masala. Sprinkle with some water. Simmer and cook for about 10-12 minutes.
4. Add chicken and milk over the spices curry and let it cook on low flame for next 10-12 minutes until the chicken is tender.
5. When the chicken is done, add spinach & mix spices powder (garam masala) and keep stirring to avoid sticking to the pan. Cook for five more minutes over medium heat and then add butter. Cover until ready to serve.